Home Page


SEN provision for Children and Young People at Rimrose Hope CE Primary School


September 2018 SEND Information Report


As part of the Children's and Families Act 2013, Local Authorities are required to publish a 'Local Offer' which sets out support that is available for children and young people with SEN in the local area. 


Sefton's Local Offer is available on the Sefton website (see link below) and tells parents how to access services in their area and what to expect from these services. 


Alongside this, schools are required to publish information about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with SEN. 


This is the Local Offer for Rimrose Hope CE Primary School. It describes the arrangements we make that are 'additional and different' for pupils with SEN. This information had been produced together with parents, carers and our children and young people and will be reviewed annually. 


The following information outlines the support and provision pupils with SEN can expect at Rimrose Hope CE Primary School.


At Rimrose Hope CE Primary School we believe that all children are entitled to have their needs met and to have access to high quality teaching within the mainstream.


The diagram below illustrates the school's graduated response to children's needs. It shows the standard offer of teaching, learning and care for all pupils, the additional provision which may be needed by some pupils and the specialist provision available to the few children with significant or complex needs,



Rimrose Hope CE Primary School Offer

ALL pupils will access: High quality teaching and enrichment activities within the school day, as well as access to clubs, trips and residential visits. 


Some pupils with additional SEN needs will access: 

* Small group work (working with a Teacher or Teaching Assistant) 

* Specialist external advice

* Speech and Language groups

* Social skills group


A few pupils with complex or significant needs will access:


*Occupational therapy

*Special trips and visits

*Specialist sports sessions





How does the school know when a pupil has learning difficulties or special educational needs? 


* Some children start school with a diagnosis or with specialist external agency support e.g. Speech and Language Therapist. 

* Some children will be identified by school staff and referred for specialist support. 

* Some children's needs will be identified through tracking systems, teacher assessments and day-to-day observation by the class teacher of SENCO. These children may have needs which can be met through differentiation teaching, small group work in the classroom supported by the class teacher or teaching assistant and/or intervention group sessions. 


How is the curriculum matched to pupil's needs? 

* Teaches plan the curriculum to meet the needs of the pupils.

* Class teachers meet weekly with their team leader to plan for children with identified SEN.

* Lessons are differentiated in various ways including: independent work given to children, use of classroom based resources to support learning, small group teaching by class teacher, teaching assistant support within the classroom and the use of ICT. 


How does the school know whether pupils are making progress? 

* Progress is closely tracked and monitored by class teachers, teaching assistants and phase team leaders

* Termly assessments are administered and weekly team meetings are held to identify those above and below expectations. 

* Regular tracking meetings are also held in leadership meetings. 


How are parents/carers informed about how their child is doing? 

*Parents have regular communication with class teachers and teaching assistants as the school operates an 'open door policy'. 

* SEN reviews with the SENCOs and external professionals are held for some children with SEN.

* We plan regular parents' evenings and send home annual termly reports. 

* We hold parent classes and workshops in order to improve communication and parent's ability to support their children at home. 


What arrangements does the school make to support pupils transferring from another school?

* All children will have an induction session in which they are shown around the school.

* For children with SEN, a meeting/telephone discussion will be held between the SENCOs and information will be shared about the child's needs. 


How is support organised for pupils with identified special educational needs? 

* Children are supported in class, in small groups by a teaching assistant.

* Some children will receive intervention (catch up English and Maths programmes) in a small group delivered by a teaching assistant.

* On the advice of external Local Authority specialists (e.g. Educational Psychologist) school may be advised to apply for 'High Needs Funding'. High Needs Funding is given to schools to support the additional support highlighted in the child's SEN Support Plan, this could be additional funding to pay for additional 1:1 speech and language programme that may need to be delivered for 20 minutes daily. *children in receipt of High Needs Funding are not allocated 1:1 support full time, a child is given the support they need in relation to their SEN Support Plan and in some cases their personalised timetable/curriculum. 

* A range of external specialists work with the school in order to provide training, advice and assessment for children with higher needs. 

*The support is overseen and organised by the SENCOs and Senior Leadership Team.






How are decisions made about how much support individual pupils receive? 

* Progress is tracked and some children will receive intervention catch up sessions delivered by a teacher or teaching assistant.

* Some children may receive additional support within lessons by the teacher or teaching assistant. 

* Teaching assistants may be deployed to deliver small group/1:1 specialist sessions e.g. Speech and Language programme. 

* If progress is not made then children's needs are assessed and external advice may be sought. 

* Some children will receive High Needs Funding and a higher level of support is implemented based on their SEN Support Plan.


How does the school know if the extra support is helping pupils make progress? 

* Progress is regularly tracked and recorded. 

* Review meetings are held with teachers and parents to discuss individual pupil's progress.

* Teaching assistants are trained annually and receive appraisal meetings. 


How are parents/carers informed about their child's needs and what support they are receiving? 

* Parents will be invited to an initial meeting to discuss their child's needs, this will involve the SENCO and the class teacher. 

* External professionals may be involved and will meet parents to gather information and seek views before assessments are made. 

* Parents will be invited to meetings through the year and will be encouraged to talk to the teacher and/or SENCO if they have any concerns.

* Reviews and Annual Reviews will be timetabled and parents and professionals will discuss children to assess progress and support. 


How does the school involve parents/carers in planning to meet their child's needs and in setting targets for learning?

* Parent evenings are held termly for all pupils.

* Through meetings with the teacher, SENCO and/or relevant external professionals.

* Parent workshops are also arranged to support parents' understanding of different teaching approaches used by the school e.g. phonics, maths, language groups etc...

* Annual reviews are held for pupils with high needs. 


What expertise and training do the staff who support SEN pupils have? 

* All staff are trained internally by the SENCO, subject coordinators or visiting external professionals. 

* Staff may attend specialist courses which are held at external venues. 

* Regular meetings are held for support staff within school to share good practice and to train. 


What specialist support or services does the school access for pupils with SEN? 

* Educational Psychologist (Local Authority) 

* Speech and Language Therapy Service

* Specialist Nurses (e.g. diabetes, ASD, ADHD)

* School Nurse

* Physiotherapy 

* Occupational Therapy 

* Specialist PE Coach

* Behaviour Specialist 


How are classrooms and other areas of the school adapted to meet pupil's individual needs?

* School has easy access to all areas, there are ramps and levelled areas outside, there is a hoist and changing facility including a shower on the ground floor, disabled toilets situated around the school and a lift for access to the first floor. 

* All classrooms have overhead projectors and smart boards

* We have the Dyslexia Friendly Schools Award meaning that all classrooms and resources have been adapted to meed the needs of pupils with Literacy difficulties ( see additional information below in our Dyslexia Friendly Schools Policy)


What arrangements are made to support pupils with SEN taking part in after school activities outside the classroom including school journeys?

* ALL children are included in trips and visits as well as residential visits. We provide teaching assistant support and appropriate transport (either hired transport or the school minibus) to enable this to happen. All visits are risk assessed and appropriate safety measures are put into place. 

* During offsite activities (residential), school have instructed specialist or additional instructor and support staff. 

* ALL of our children, including those with SEN have the opportunity to attend a range of after school clubs. 


How will the school prepare and support pupils who are transferring to a new school?

* Staff  may visit the new school with the child. 

* All information will be transferred. 

* The SENCO will be invited to observe the child at the current school and invited to attend a review and planning meeting. 













How does the school support pupil's overall well-being?

* We provide many enrichment activities including after school clubs and trips.

* We ensure that children's individual needs are met in whatever way is relevant. 

* We will teach children how to keep themselves healthy and safe. 

* Children attend their annual review meetings to share their views

* Easy access website that has an app for parents and pupils to contact staff regarding concerns (Whisper and Tell Rimzo)

* External professionals will support where necessary to advise children and families who have particular concerns or requirements. 

* External professionals deliver specialist sessions in school e.g. Sex Education, Quality and Diversity, Watersafety, Childline. 

* School based mentor

* Rewards systems including an on-line reward system where the pupils earn points

* Weekly assemblies celebrating children's successes, good news notes home, weekly celebration assembly


How does the school prepare their pupils for their next stage of education and for adult life?

* Transition visits to their new school- some children with SEN will be given several transition visits

* Transition books including photographs and timetables

* Parents' meetings

* Sharing information between schools and families

* Holding early review meetings which both schools attend

* Holding multi agency meetings to discuss transition arrangements 

* Seeking pupils and parents views throughout


Who can parents/carers contact to talk to about their child's special educational needs? 

Mrs. Warrington- Assistant Headteacher and SENCO (Mainstream)

Mrs. Ginn- SENCO (Mainstream)

Mrs. Stott- SENCO (Rose Class) 


Arrangements for the admission of disabled pupils

* We are a fully inclusive school which admits all pupils including those with SEN and disabilities. 

* We have a range of specialist facilities including a lift, accessible classrooms and play areas and disables toilets. 

* Meetings will be held with parents, children and specialists in order to plan admission and ensure that the facilities and resources are in place to enable the child to access the curriculum. 

* Appropriate support will be provided.

* Training will be provided for staff. 

* Regular reviews will be planned, which include the pupil's views. 




If you want to know more about how your child is supported in school or think they need more support then your first point of contact is the class teacher.  Call the office to request a time to meet the class teacher. 


If you prefer to speak to a Special Needs Co-ordinator then please contact the office to request a time to meet the SENCO.

Useful Contacts


Mainstream SENCO: Mrs G. Warrington and Mrs. C. Ginn

CLD Base (Rose Class) SENCO: Mrs J. Stott

Link Governor: Mrs J. Nelson

(contact via the school office on: 0151 288-6508 or email:


SEN Complaints


In line with our general complaints procedure, parents are advised to seek resolution of complaints firstly through the class teacher. If you would like further advice please feel free to contact Mrs Warrington or Mrs Nelson and they will ensure that your concerns are addressed. If your complaint is about Mrs Warrington, then please contact Mr. Crilly.

Support Services for Children with Special Educational Needs


Sefton's Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) 

0151 934 - 3334 or


Information, Advice and Support – Key Points


  • IAS services are a statutory service that provides information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents (who have children/young people 0-25 yrs).
  • IAS services are required to be impartial, accessible and free.
  • IAS staff are independently legally trained.
  • Confidential and impartial information, advice and support to parents, children and young people (16+) on their own, if requested.
  • Information about Sefton’s Local Offer


Key working support such as:


  • Individual casework and informal advocacy.
  • Support in attending meetings, contributing to assessments and reviews.
  • Information, advice and support on subjects including local policy and practice, personalisation, personal budgets, preparation for adulthood, the law on SEN and Disability, Health and Social Care.
  • Participating in decisions about outcomes for the child or young person. Where requested by parents or young people seeking an EHC plan, and subject to availability, the offer of an Independent Supporter - a trained, independent individual from the voluntary or private sector, to help them through the statutory process, from requesting an assessment through to the agreement of the EHC plan and any associated personal budget. Also information about existing Special Educational Needs (SEN) Statements and review process.
  • Information, advice and support about Additional SEN Support.
  • Individual casework and representation.
  • Support in preparing for and attending meetings.
  • Help in filling in forms and writing letters/reports.
  • Help when things go wrong, including resolving disagreements and providing support to manage mediation, appeals, exclusions, and complaints on matters related to SEN.
  • Working separately and impartially with young people and their parents to resolve any disagreements between them.
  • Support in preparing for SENDIST tribunals.
  • Signposting to other local or national sources of advice, information and support.
  • Links to local parent support groups and forums.
  • Information on the role of Independent Supporters (IS) and how to access this support.
  • Contributing to strategic development of services by the Local Authority / CCG.
  • The obligations and expectations of an IAS Service are set out in Chapter 2 of the SEND Code of Practice
  • The standards expected of IAS Services can be found in the IASSN Quality Standards


IAS support with information about Sefton’s Local Offer


  • The Local Offer provides clear and accessible information about the provision Sefton Council expects to be available locally for our children and young people from 0 to 25 who have special educational needs and/or disability (SEND).
  • The Local Offer helps you to understand what services you can expect from a range of local agencies, including your statutory entitlements, eligibility and referral criteria. The Local Offer also makes clear what is available from early years settings, schools (including Academies and Free Schools), colleges and other services including those from health and social care.


How to make a Referral


Primarily the service operates a ‘self-referral’ process. However, on occasions it may be considered appropriate for a professional to make contact with the service on behalf of the parent or young person. The service will act upon such requests only on the full understanding that consent has been given by the parent or young person.


Aiming High


0151 288-6811 or

Aiming High for Disabled Children is there to make sure disabled children, young people and their families have the same access to fun, fulfilling activities and life chances as those without disabilities.

We provide specially tailored sessions during term-time and holidays that young people can access and specialist support when our young people reach key 'transition points', such as moving from education into employment.




0151 228 - 4811 or

Alder Hey CAMHS offers specialist services to support children and young people in Liverpool and Sefton, up to the age of 18, who are experiencing mental health difficulties. We also provide support to their families or carers.

Some of the issues that we can help with include:

  • Anxiety
  • Attachment Difficulties
  • Conduct/Behaviour Problems
  • Depression
  • Eating disorders
  • Emotional and Behavioural difficulties in children with Learning Disabilities
  • Obsessions and Compulsions
  • Psychosis
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Self-harm
  • More complex psychological difficulties

We also provide consultation, advice and training to other agencies and accept referrals from a wide range of professionals. The team is multi-disciplinary, which means our clinicians come from a range of clinical and professional backgrounds.

The service works with the young people, parents, carers and partner agencies to make sure that the right care is provided to each individual, depending on their needs and circumstances.


Parent Partnership


Suzanne Farrell - 0151 291-0551


Aiming High Referral Form

SEND Code of Practice

Why Choose Us Tell Rimzo Nature Reserve Whisper